HOW TO CURE COLD / STREP THROAT NATURALLY
** The method described below must be exercised by you only using your correct judgement or if you feel that what is written may work for you. Please exercise your own judgement when following the method or steps below. Some principals of AYURVEDA & Breathing exercises are used. This is not a sure shot method so you may talk to your doctor to get better idea. I just describe below what I did when severe form of cold struck on me**
When the COLD / STREP Throat struck
It starts with a runny nose which goes on for several hours or 1-2 days at least draining all your salts from body making you feel feverish (without fever) , tired and fatigued. The side effect could be a strep throat where you feel as if your throat is like a coarse paper.
The Ingredients you need:
Cayenne pepper (Red chillies powder) gargle for throat 3-4 times a day, ELECTROLYTE POWDER (It works by replacing electrolytes and carbohydrates in the body to prevent dehydration), PRANAYAM technique to open up breathing path and Sinuses without use of inhalers, Warm water one glass every two hours occasionally added/mix with a pinch (0.5 gram) of turmeric powder and good old Vicks vaporab.
Steps to manage the cold / strep throat
- We will let the cold run its course which may take 1-2 days or more. During this time:
- Gargle the throat with Cayenne pepper added water 3-4 times a day to prevent strep throat.
- Drink Warm water every 1-2 hours (sometimes add a pinch of turmeric powder to water)
- Use vicks vaporub at night for inside nostrils.
- If not able to breathe because of closing of sinuses or breathing path, use BREATHING EXERCISE several times in a day to open up sinuses without use of inhalers.
Just take a small INHALE from one nostril (alternate between left and right nostril) while closing the other nostril and pinch close your nostril (using index finger and thumb) and hold breathe for at least 20-30 seconds (Or to the point where you feel like taking another breathe) and then exhale slowly from other nostril for each step. FLEX YOUR NOSTRIL DURING PINCH HOLD OF nostrils using the air pressure that is built during hold. If you have a FORCEFUL exhale after hold, then you have hold for good time. Repeat this till you feel that sinuses have opened up.
- After the cold/runny nose has stopped, the feeling of being fatigued or tiredness will continue as your body fluids with electrolytes loss has weakened your immune system. During this time you may decide to use one Electrolyte powder drink daily for 2-3 days or till you feel good. I felt good just after 2 such electrolyte drinks. Please look for side effects and dosage for electrolyte yourself.
The other way is to drink Coconut water daily till the fatigue is gone.
- Apart from this, I used over the counter dry cough syrups and herbal remedies like hot soups and warm milk added with a pinch of turmeric powder and coconut water or NEEM/TULSI capsules alongside to carry on smoothly during the cold attack.
- Also it helps to shift you breathing pattern to belly rather than from chest or nose, meaning we use belly to breathe IN. During this process during Breathing IN the stomach INFLATES and during exhale STOMACH collapses. You would notice calm breathing where Nose is idle and hence no sound of breathing comes. This technique also prevents hyperventilation which is prime cause of COLD as free particles generated on account of hyperventilation (rapid breathing) must be removed through nose in form of cold symptoms.
DIAPHRAGMATIC BREATHING (breathing from belly) to prevent hyperventilation (rapid breathing)
- Sit comfortably in an upright chair. When you are first learning, it may be helpful to lie down on the floor or a bed, which makes it easier for your abdomen to expand and contract with each breath.
- Rest one hand on chest and other hand lightly on your abdomen/belly, about one inch above your navel. You must experience belly rising during correct process.
- Inhale gently, expanding your belly as you do so. You should feel your belly expanding beneath your hand during each INHALE. If chest is expanding during inhale then you are doing it wrong. Consciously feel your belly inflating during each inhale.
- Exhale softly, contracting/collapsing your belly as you do so, feeling it contract. During exhale you can see your stomach flattening or going in.
- Do above steps at least 5 times every day just before you go to sleep to shift the breathing to belly. You will notice this brings in SOUNDLESS breathing as instead of NOSE your belly is used for each INHALE.