** It is advised to also refer to parent blog for more details on this program below **
Before you start this program
- Hyper Acidity / Acidic Stomach and subsequent Gastro Paresis is cause by STORED ACIDS due to SLOW STOMACH caused by certain medicines/Drugs (Mostly NSAID painkillers or Acid Blockers [PPI/H2 Blockers] class of drugs or any other medication that slows the stomach). Once Stomach has slowed down due to certain medicines, Acidosis occurs and accumulated acids in turn cause MORE SLOW STOMACH and thus the LOOP. The CURE mechanism involves cleaning up stored acids first along with providing motility (STOMACH) on regular basis till the problem is reversed. The extra ACIDS released for digestion are neutralized on every meal basis by providing sustained ALKALINE RESERVES WITH EVERY MEAL IN FORM OF ORGANIC SALTS & QUICKLY PREPARED FOOD that does not required acid release avoiding sugar & meat.
- First Thing you must do is to STOP ALL MEDICATION of Proton Pump Inhibitors / H2 Blockers Class of Drugs (e.g. NEXIUM, ranitidine, famotidine, omeprazole, RAZO etc) that you are used to for suppressing Acid. It is proven that these drugs although help suppress acids but as a side effect enhance DYSMOTILITY or slow stomach emptying making sure that you never get cured. You must also STOP all Pro kinetic / motility class of drugs (e.g. REGLAN, Domperidone, Erythromycin) as these have many side effects and are mostly ineffective in long run. FOR THIS PROGRAM TO SUCCEED YOU MUST BE OFF PPI/Pro Kinetic/Constipation Class of drugs. Please know that PPI class of drugs is used for SUPRESSING ACID While PRO KINETIC Drugs are used to push the digested food through stomach (Motility) for EVERY MEAL you take.
- All you need to do is to TRUST THIS PROGRAM (as most of what I write is already tested on me), and you will realize that what you were doing before was just a faulty line of treatment enforced upon you by the medical fraternity which has really not understood gastro paresis problem till now. All they do is to just enforce a generic program that included PPI/Motility class of drugs along with antacids to manage the issue and thereby make you all SLAVE to this faulty mechanism that only brings more problems later. So long, that you continue to suppress acids using PPI, delayed emptying will continue to persist. Read DISCUSSION section of article here: “ http://gut.bmj.com/content/42/2/243.full “. Look for how to stop PPI section somewhere in parent blog.
- Instead what is required is, to follow a Leaky Gut Repair Protocol (Leaky Gut Prescription) that involves use of alkaline reserves (Seeds & Salts), TRIHPHALA capsule for Intestinal Cleanse & motility, L Glutamine for Intestinal repair and lightly cooked diet on slow flame that is devoid of Meat , processed food, white Flour foods & Rich oily curries; during recovery period. Your food is going to be your medicine from now on. We will use right food(quickly prepared); Intestinal & Blood cleanse(Triphala, Raisin water,Wheat grass powder), build alkaline reserves along with healthy salts(Himalyan pink salt,Black salt,Sea salt(Impure crystals)), Using Mucilage food like grounded flax seeds, fenugreek seeds, chia seeds with water to cure CONSTIPATION to get rid of this complex issue. We will also use L-Glutamine powder to help repair Intestinal Lining/Mucosa to resolve it from root.
This is a HOLISTIC program and so all steps must be taken together as mentioned in this blog to get better results. You will fail the program; if you continued to use PPI/Pro kinetic/constipation drugs when following this program. You must take up this program with CLEAR INTENT to get cured and NOT JUST follow it in an ad- hoc manner. Please put in your comments & queries only after you have tried this program for at least 2 weeks. ONE SHALL NEVER start this program without TRIPHALA / Black salt (grey or pink in colour) or Himalayan pink salt.
What you will need
- SEEDS (Flax, Fenugreek, Alfalfa, Chia – these are all grounded and taken with water) as these contain Alkaline Reserves that your body needs to neutralize the acids that are released to digest the food and also for the acidic food that you consume. These also contain Mucilage that will help cultivate the right surface moisture and slippage on intestinal walls to protect stomach from acid secretion that takes place during digestion and will also help resolve CONSTIPATION Issues. In addition 1-2 spoon Pure cow ghee / Clarified Butter before sleep every night for easy bowels . Flax seeds: “ http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3163/2 “
- SALTS ORGANIC Sea Salt(Impure crystals)/ Black salt /Rock salt /Celtic/Himalayan Pink salt. These healthy salts contain minerals that would help stimulate better digestion. These ORGANIC SALTS are capable of absorbing heat and very necessary as every meal causes digestive fires to go up. Our body stores alkaline reserves in the form of salts. These SALTS also provide much needed alkaline reserves. We will sprinkle these salts on every meal that we have. At least one table spoon of these salts to be consumed daily. http://www.familycarechirowc.com/index.cfm/articles/why-you-should-get-off-prescription-acid-reducing-drugs-asap/
- RAISINS (10 Black raisins), these are soaked in water overnight and when we drink this water; helps bring ALKALINITY & Iron to blood thereby helps us eating heavy and large amounts of food speeding up the digestion in long run. To increase absorption of Iron Rich food like raisins, cereals like Kellogg product 19/cheerios, wheat flour you must combine these with Vitamin C rich food like Oranges, Lemon etc. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2051/2 http://www.parentingscience.com/iron-rich-foods.html
- WHEAT GRASS Powder will help us Purify the blood. We shall look for more products that will help us purify the blood which is now contaminated and has become acidic. Liquid Chlorophyll is one more such product for blood purification. “ http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/900675/2 “
- TRIPHALA CAPSULES (after every meal) This is one of very important herb that we will use for DETOXICATION (Intestinal Cleanse) of stomach and also to help MOTILITY and cure sensitive stomach issue. I have used one from Himalaya brand. Reduce the dosage to 2 capsules after around 8 weeks and then to 1 after another 4-6 weeks.
- L GLUTAMINE Powder and Multiple Amino acids powder for GUT REPAIR. This powder 1 teaspoon daily (5 days a week, 2 Hrs before or 2 hrs after meal or early morning) is known to help repair gut lining/ mucosa thereby resolving the problem from root. Studies have found that L-glut amine supports the regeneration and repair of cells lining the intestinal wall. I have myself used 2 products, Pure L Glutamine powder and British Nutrition’s Glutamine recovery formula. Reduce or stop the dosage for 2-3 days if you get Sore throat ; mouth ulcers or other such symptoms as listed in side effects link below. Use a alternate day or Mon-Fri consumption to avoid any side effects. Just watch out for any side effects (sore throat etc) but if you stick to lowest dose of 1 Tea spoon a day 5 days a week you shall be fine. I took this for around 4 weeks, stopped for a week and restarted. This is to be done for 3-4 months. Have Large doses of around 3 tea spoon at least one day in a week to get better results.
- For any stomach anxiety after meals; Carom seeds boiled water (It controls nausea and vomiting, and increases appetite.), Antacids like Baking soda (NOT baking powder) dissolved in water, Chilled milk (No Sugar), a TRIPHALA capsule after meal or OTC antacids can be used. Remember that Acid neutralizing is always preferred than acid suppressions. Mostly I used TRIPHALA capsule for any type of anxiety after meals.
- LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST, a soft/Lightly prepared (Quickly prepared and on slow flame) diet(80% alkaline 20% Acidic mostly vegan) till recovery. We must increase alkaline reserves by having vegetable diet avoiding meat at least during recovery periods. Food at this stage can never be strongly cooked/processed/baked/fried (slow digestion) or acidic (strong Protein, sugar, meat). All type of MEAT to be had in Boiled/Grilled/Steamed form only. The journey from soft/Lightly prepared(Quickly prepared) diet To strong diet is a slow one, but will ensure final cure. Also Triphala is very important herb in this program. Include / sprinkle (1/2 TSP) cayenne pepper [Red chillies powder] with all your meals if you have a sensitive stomach, this is required to heal the stomach which is now sensitive due to acids.
- A Typical food list example that will not cause stomach anxiety is listed below:-
- Breakfast : Cold milk without Sugars with kellogs/muesli and banana
- Lunch: quickly prepared vegan food with Rice or any boiled vegan food
- Dinner: Quickly prepared vegan food with Rice or Rice + Plain Yoghurt
- For snacking any time of day use only Alkaline foods like dried raisins, Figs, cucumbers, dates, banana, papaya, water melon, Mango, Beet.
- Sample One Day Alkaline Diet Plan: http://www.betterbones.com/alkalinebalance/dietplan.aspx
WHAT NOT TO DO
One thing you will strictly avoid is RICH CURRIES with lots of oil in them. Strictly AVOID NSAID Painkillers, skipping meals,Tea Coffee & Alcohol during this period. Tea coffee can be had once you have cured your sensitive stomach by taking TRIPHALA capsule for 7-10 days. If you feel anxiety after any food have one TRIPHALA capsule or cold milk (No Sugar) or coconut water or baking soda (NOT baking powder) dissolved in water. Avoid Green chilies, instead use peppercorn or cayenne pepper (red chilies powder). Strictly avoid canned food, White flour, baked food and hot milk during this time. That means you must avoid soft drinks, Sugar/fried/baked (Biscuits, cake, pastries etc)/red meat/flour (bread, flat bread/chapatti etc)/all type of processed food (canned food, chips, tomato sauce, chocolates etc), at all costs till the stomach is ready to take them back till recovery take place. No meat for next 2-3 months. Strictly avoid Red meat and deep fried oily greasy food and rich curries.
FIRST THING IN MORNING
- 1 Spoon for each of grounded flax seed powder, CHIA Seeds grounded, Fenugreek seeds grounded Marshmallow root powder (Althaea officinalis) along with Some Water. This is done to ensure healthy mucus growth and support slippery stomach lining to protect from acid that is secreted during digestion along with building alkaline reserves. This shall also help resolve constipation issues. I do this twice daily.
- Carom seeds water if you have a Nausea. Nausea is something where you have hunger in stomach but can not take your food as you feel heavy in chest.
- Add Wheat grass powder & alfalfa seeds grounded to Luke warm water added with pinch (1/3 tea spoon) of one or combination of Celtic Sea salt/Himalayan Pink salt/Black Salt /Rock Salt. Optionally add a pinch of Black pepper & Lemon juice. This is done to purify blood & restore alkalinity of body fluids.
- Also L-Glutamine powder dissolved in water or shake (1 tea spoons ) to help gut lining / Mucosa repair. I took this for around 4 weeks, stopped for a week and restarted. This is to be done for 4-6 months.
- For acidosis cure and to bring alkalinity to body fluids also drink raisins soaked water (10 black raisins soaked in water for 8-10 hours) and eat raisins twice daily. You may also prepare CHIA seeds soaked in water for 5-10 minutes and drink that along with CHIA seeds. To increase absorption of Iron Rich food like raisins, cereals like Kellogg product 19/cheerios, wheat flour you must combine these with Vitamin C rich food like Oranges, citrus fruits etc. I do this twice daily.
- If you have functional dyspepsia (feeling of full stomach even with small meals) then you must perform KAPALBHATI or sit up Stomach exercises starting with 100 (give 10 second break for every 20 KAPALBHATI stomach steps) and gradually increasing it to 300-400 at one go. If your Stomach is feeling stressed (Full/Tight) even after small meal then you definitely have functional dyspepsia. Those with Blood Pressure (BP) issues must do this exercise moderately (around 50 at a time but repeat it 3-4 times in a day.). This exercise shall restore elasticity of your stomach back and will remove any stress caused by large meals later.
FOOD for ALL 3 MEALS
- Boiled food is the lightest form of food to stomach, you can add lemon juice, black pepper, Black salts on top of it. Have soft diet or lightly prepared(Quickly prepared) vegan food (7-8 minutes of cooking, less or no oil). We shall avoid acid build-up (avoid sugar,Meat) and Food build-up (Food that take long time to digest; Avoid white flour,fried & processed foods). If oil is required for preparation then never use more than 2 tea spoon of oil. Spices are welcome addition too. Always use Rice based food as they are very light to stomach during recovery stage. I have used Muesli with cold/chilled MILK (No sugar) and also Banana alongside. Alkaline foods like dried raisins, Figs, cucumbers, dates, banana, papaya, water melon, Mango, Beet, Broccoli can be had any time in day or along with all meals. Sprinkle a lot of cayenne pepper on all meals if you have a sensitive stomach. You will avoid Liquid curries, meat & fried food during recovery stages. Also the food that is prepared should not be curried and should not contain anything that is fried; also it should be dried food preparation (no liquid curries). If the food is with liquid curries just pick up dry content out of it leaving the curry for others. Meal like Curd + Rice and Rice + Spinach is very soothing to stomach and shall be reserved for nights mostly. Normally, an 80% Vegetarian and 20% Non vegetarian meal or sticking to MEAT in Grilled/Boiled/ Steamed form only would ensure life without acidity. We shall avoid meat during recovery stage. DO NOT FORGET to sprinkle one or combination of all of salts listed above on every meal you eat to help avoid Acid indigestion.
- One TRIPHALA Capsules after every meal. We will do this for around 6-8 weeks or more depending upon recovery results.
- Also L-GLUTAMINE powder (2 hrs before or 2 hrs after meal) dissolved in water or shake (1 tea spoons daily) to help gut lining / Mucosa repair. I took this for around 4 weeks.
- Sample One Day Alkaline Diet Plan: http://www.betterbones.com/alkalinebalance/dietplan.aspx
WHEN YOU WANT TO THROW ALL PRECAUTIONS TO WIND FOR THAT ONE DAY IN A WEEK ============================================================ Okay so you decided to forget about all precautions. No worries, there is a way but you must do it only occasionally. Just pick up a very good quality digestive Multi enzyme tablet e.g. DIGEPLEX T and TRIPHALA CAPSULE. Now just before meal have one Digestive Enzyme tablet and after you have finished your food have 1 or 2 TRIPHALA CAPSULE. How it works is that, Digestive enzymes help break food thereby less acids are produced and TRIPHALA is an excellent Intestinal cleanse and motility herb, thereby makes sure that food and digestive juices are not hold up for long in stomach. Always keep TRIPHALA handy for occasions where you had food that starts to give you anxiety. Have one TRIPHALA capsule for all such occasions which give you anxiety after meal. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/triphala-benefits.html
- Trigger food for Acid Reflux / Acidosis means combination of meat + food that delay digestion or take long to digest. If you know what type of food delay’s digestion you will know how to eat it and how much gap is required. White flour, baked, Rich oily curries, Fried food cause delay in digestion and that is why they must never be combined with meat to avoid acidosis in future. Meat is safe when had in isolation or with rice in grilled/steamed/boiled form. One food that has always caused me issues is oily rich curries when combined with meat. I can eat everything but strictly avoid rich oily curries with meat in it. I have not found any issue when I have curries with vegetable food inside. As of now this is the only one combination that I avoid. As acidity prone individuals (thin stomach/mucosal lining is not able to protect us from excess acids produced for digestion) we can never afford to have food that would hold acids released for digestion for long time in stomach. That means all meats shall be ate in isolation and not combined with white flour foods and should never be fried. If you are going to eat food that would take long to digest e.g. white flour food, fried food then you must never eat meat along with these. Having a compromised stomach lining (thinned) the acids released for meat (protein) digestion would cause flare ups and would stress the stomach thereby promoting the delayed emptying.
- Always remember that we are acidity prone individuals and so if you ever had food (Trigger food for Acid Reflux / Acidosis means combination of meat + food that delay digestion or take long to digest) that may cause delay in digestion especially when meat was consumed, have 1-2 TRIPHALA capsule immediately after meal to avoid return of acidosis.
- I normally prepare myself for these occasions (when eating trigger food) by having one digestive enzyme tablet (e.g. DIGEPLEX T) just before meal followed by TRIPHALA capsule for fast motility, if I ever wanted to indulge in this type of food occasionally. How it works is that, Digestive enzymes help break food thereby less acids are produced and TRIPHALA is an excellent Intestinal cleanse and motility herb, thereby makes sure that food and digestive juices are not hold up for long in stomach. WE MUST continue to build alkaline reserves for the cure to become permanent.
- This is a HOLISTIC program and so all steps must be taken together as mentioned in this blog to get better results. You will fail the program; if you continued to use PPI/Pro kinetic/constipation drugs when following this program. You must take up this program with CLEAR INTENT to get cured and NOT JUST follow it in an ad- hoc manner. Please put in your comments & queries only after you have tried this program for at least 2 weeks. ONE SHALL NEVER start this program without TRIPHALA / Black salt (grey or pink in color) or Himalayan pink salt.
** You may exercise your own judgment in following some of cure mentioned in this blog ** ‘ *It is advised to also refer to parent blog for more details on this program below. *